Avocado Hummus Recipe
This creamy avocado hummus packs flavor from garlic, lime juice, cumin and a pinch of caynne. Perfect with just a drizzle of good extra virgin olive oil. But if you want to go the extra step, jazz things up by adding the slasa verde on top or next to it. Bring on the chips! Be sure to read the recipe notes.
- 1 to 2 garlic cloves
- 15-oz can chickpeas, drained (or roughly 2 cups cooked chickpeas)
- 2 medium ripe avocados, roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp Greek Yogurt (omit if vegan)
- 3 tbsp tahini
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper (or Aleppo pepper), more to your liking
- 1/2 lime, juice of, more to your liking
- Liquid from canned chickpeas, if needed
- In a large food processor, fitted with a blade, add the hummus ingredients (garlic, chickpeas, avocados, Greek yogurt, tahini, salt, cumin, cayenne and lime juice). Run the food processor to blend until the hummus mixture is smooth.
- Test, and if it’s too thick, add a very little bit of the chickpeas canning liquid. Run the processor again until you achieve the desired creamy consistency. Adjust seasoning as needed.
- Transfer the avocado hummus to a serving dish and cover tightly with plastic wrap (if you press the plastic warp well, it will help prevent air from changing the color of the avocado hummus). Chill a few minutes before serving. Uncover and smooth the surface of the hummus and drizzle a bit of extra virgin olive oil. Garnish with fresh parsley or another herb if you like.
- Enjoy with pita bread or pita chips.
- Bonus Salsa Verde Recipe: clean the food procoessor. Add 5 cut up tomatillos (or 2 green tomatoes), a large handful of cilantro, 1 small and roughly chopped red onion, 1 jalapeno pepper, roughly cut, 1 garlic clove, lime juice and a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil. Season with a bit of kosher salt. Pulse the food processor a few times to blend.
- For even more creamy avocado Hummus: This is completely optional, but you can work on the chickpeas a bit for an even creamier finish. Boil the canned chickpeas in their juices with a bit more water for 15 minutes or so. Peel the chickpeas by rubbing handfuls under running water.
- Tip for Leftovers: Store leftover avocado hummus, tightly wrapped, in the fridge for 2 nights. Salsa verde can also be stored in the fridge separately for 1 night.