Crispy Lemon Roasted Broccoli Recipe
A high-heated oven and a couple of small tips make all the difference in this roasted broccoli that is tender on the inside and crispy with caramelized edges on the outside. The perfect side dish finished with lemon juice, red pepper flakes, and a sprinkle of feta cheese.
- 1 ½ lb broccoli trimmed and cut into florets
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt
- ½ to 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes, (or Aleppo pepper flakes)
- 1 lemon zested and juiced
- feta cheese, optional
- Set an oven rack in the center and heat the oven to 500 degrees F.
- Put a rimmed sheet pan in the heated oven to heat.
- Trim the broccoli stems (remove the tough outer peel) and cut the broccoli into similar size florets.
- In a mixing bowl, toss the broccoli with about 4 to 5 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil and a good pinch of kosher salt.
- Carefully take the sheet pan out of the oven. Using a pair of tongs, pick up the broccoli and quickly, and carefully, arrange the broccoli in one single layer on the pan (leave any excess oil in the bowl). Return the pan to the heated oven.
- Roast for 10 minutes on one side until nicely charred. Take the pan out and turn the broccoli over on the other side and cook for another 5 minutes or so until charred.
- Arrange the broccoli on a platter. Sprinkle with more kosher salt, red pepper flakes (I used Aleppo pepper). Add zest and juice of one lemon, and if you like a sprinkle of feta cheese.
- Options & Variations: You can serve this roasted broccoli with a side of tzatziki sauce, tahini, or toum garlic sauce. It’s also great with a sprinkle of nutty dukkah!
- Make sure to use a rimmed sheet pan for this recipe.
- Ovens do vary, watch your broccoli carefully.