28 Aug Crunchy Roasted Chickpeas
Crunchy Roasted Chickpeas
Make these crunchy chickpeas for an easy, healthy, flavor-packed snack! Salt and olive oil is all you need for the roasted chickpeas, but if you want to jazz them up, add some spices or seasoning as soon as they’re out of the oven!
- 2 15-oz cans chickpeas drained and rinsed
- Extra virgin olive oil, I used Private Reserve Greek extra virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Seasoning of your choice, I used za’atar, sumac and harissa
- Drain and dry chickpeas very well. Dry them up using some paper towels and leave them in a colander until they have dried as much as possible (OR you can spread them on a large baking sheet lined with paper towel for a while.)
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees F and position a rack right in the middle.
- Spread the chickpeas well on a bare baking sheet (do not line the baking sheet with parchment or foil.) Drizzle a generous amount of extra virgin olive oil and season with kosher salt. Toss chickpeas and make sure they are well-coated with the olive oil. Spread them out well on the sheet.
- Roast in heated oven anywhere from 20 to 35 minutes, shaking the pan every 10 minutes or so for even cooking. Don’t rush it, make sure the chickpeas turn a deeper golden brown and the exterior is nice and crispy, that’s when they’re ready.
- Season roasted chickpeas. Once you take the chickpeas out of the oven, immediately season with spices of your choice. This time, I used za’atar, sumac, and harissa blend (up to 2 tsp each) for warm Middle Eastern and Moroccan notes. Play with the amounts to your liking, and change up the spices according to what you have.
- Makes nearly 2 cups or 30 tablespoons. The serving size here is 1 tablespoon.
- Roasted chickpeas from dried: If you’d like to make this recipe from dry chickpeas, do not cook them! Simply soak the dry chickpeas in plenty of water for 24 hours. They will expand and at least double in size, that’s what you want. Follow the same instructions for drying and roasting.
- How to Keep Chickpeas Crispy: roasted chickpeas are best warm right out of the oven, they are crispiest at this point. Once they cool off and are stored for a time, they will maintain some crunch, but they will soften a bit on the inside. Still a very tasty and additive snack. If you want to re-crisp them, you can put them in the oven for 2 to 3 minutes when you need to.
- Storage Tip: You can store cooled roasted chickpeas in a glass jar. They’ll last for 4 to 5 days. And Leaving the jar lid a bit lose allows the chickpeas to breath, keeping them crispy for longer. You can also freeze them for later.